Sunday, June 26, 2011

Or, alternatively...

Alternatively, I'd also like to keep exploring the things I've been looking at for my last Masters - that is, materials for supporting Language Learners.

Only, this time, rather than looking at what materials should be held by a library, I'd like to look at the design of the materials. What are the theories behind modern language textbooks? How has that design differed over the last 50 years?

And, to get into the nitty gritty of things, is there a remarkable difference in the way people design material for languages from different language families (and if not, should there be?), and is there a difference between materials designed for Modern Languages and those designed for Ancient or Old Languages?

This is particularly concerned with the introductory level. Could/should the same approach used to teach beginning German to school students also be used to teach beginning Anglo-Saxon to undergrads? Is the way most Introductory coursebook material is designed suitable for complete beginners?

I've mentioned in other places that I've found a book called Learn German (which has since been re-formatted and published as Easy German) particularly useful as an introductory text (possibly more so than my Introductory German text book) as it does a better job of taking learners from nothing to something. In the same place I mentioned that I was intrigued by the fact that the exact same book is also used for French and Spanish - the same layout, context and structure is used, with only the language notes and dialogue altered to suit the next language.

I would love to see the same thing for Estonian - but could it work? German, French and Spanish are all from the same language family, could Estonian (which is from a different family) be substituted as easily, or would the differences in the way the language works mean the format would have to be significantly altered?

I've been thinking a lot about Anglo-Saxon lately, because that was my token "ancient language". I actually studied it to become more familiar with English, and because it was the oldest language offered at my university. I would have done Latin, if I could, but I went through the Australian system where we don't teach anyone anything that might be hard.

It wasn't really taught as a language, either. It was more focused on the literature, and the subject covered just enough of the language to cope with the texts. However, I feel what I learnt in that class has given me a slight leg-up for learning German. I wanted to go back and refresh my memory of the language, but realised the texts I have access to aren't designed for a "quick dip", as it were. I've grown used to the way modern language textbooks present information in easily navigable chunks, while the texts for Anglo-Saxon/Old English are designed for scholarly study.

So, what I would also like to do, is explore the options of creating learning material for an Ancient Language that mimics the design of material created for Modern Languages - teach the dead language as if it were still up and running.

A 12,000 word thesis covering the design question accompanied by an Introduction to Anglo-Saxon text book that would be accessible to high school students or first year undergrads...

Would that be an MA (or MPhil) in English or Linguistics (or an MEd)? And, considering I wanted to do another Masters so I could play with literature, why am I currently most excited by an idea that has very little to do with literature at all?

I just want to do everything at the same time. Is that a problem?

2 comments:

  1. It could be any of those. I think the best thing to do is discover for yourself what the purpose of doing another master's would be. If it is for enjoyment then research whatever your fancy take you to.

    It's an interesting topic, especially the issues of ancient v. modern and different approaches for different language families. I guess (though you don't say) that your target audience of learners would be native English speaking Australians. Afterall, a book to teach Finnish targeted at Estonians would be very different to that targeted at Germans and vice versa, Estonians would have a harder time learning English than Germans would, requiring a different approach.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I'm always running with two motivations. There's my own personal amusement, but there's also my desire to build up towards something else. A Masters would have to educate and entertain me, but also be a stepping stone towards a PhD, ultimately.

    ReplyDelete