Thursday, August 25, 2011

Continua

In my last post I mentioned the confidence-competence continuum, and thought it might bear some explanation.

For those of you who haven't encountered it before, the confidence-competence continuum is a bit like the space-time continuum, only more applicable to your daily lives (if completely devoid of either science or physics - ain't that always the way?).

It is the theory that one's competence in any given task is directly and irrevocably related to their confidence. If they aren't confident, then they aren't competent. If they aren't competent, then they aren't confident. As you progress in one, so you progress in the other (hence the continuum).

I tend to apply this to cycling. When I feel less than confident about approaching a situation on my bike, I think it might be a good idea to get off and walk. I may actually be quite capable of negotiating the situation, but I know my lack of confidence will lead to a lack of competence. In so many little ways, I'm likely to balk. It's the balking that will see me land face-first in a pile of rocks.

That's why maniacs can do stupid things and not die, while careful people can do relatively tame things and hurt themselves. The level of confidence is providing a matching level of competence.

Of course, sometimes people are just deluded, and can therefore kill themselves whilst doing something reckless and stupid. But then, if the universe didn't allow for things like that, those of use who manage to hurt ourselves while being careful would probably rebel against the "natural order of things" and start trying to even the score.

"Oh, you managed to do that ridiculously stupid thing without dying did you? That's very interesting. Just stand there for a minute while I go get a large stick with which to beat you to death."

No comments:

Post a Comment