Sunday, June 10, 2012

Praxis

An article by Cooke, which looked like it would have promising things about teaching students to learn autonomously from a library perspective, tuned out to be about how adult learners are usually already autonomous and librarians need to understand androgogy in order to best teach them.

I was exited to find it, as I like the word androgogy and thought it might actually be talking about the thing I'm trying to research, but as it turned out it wasn't about teaching autonomous learning skills after all.  Bummer.

On the other hand, it did use the word "praxis" in regards to reflective learning:  "praxis ... is a process of learning and reflecting on what was learned by repetition, revising or recreation" (Cooke, 2010, p.222).

I like it.  It fits neatly with my "before, during and after" approach to teaching autonomous learning skills.  I must find a way to use it in a guide or something...

It's kind of what I do here, from time to time, with posts like this - recreating the information in order to make it more memorable for me.  It probably bores the sox of everyone else, but that's the price we have to pay.

No comments:

Post a Comment