Monday, July 15, 2013

This sort of thing

Okay, so here's an example of a typical "conversation" with the lecturer I've been whinging about.  The background of this was that there were two Assignment 2s, with no indication as to which one was for the assignment in which I am enrolled, and which was for the other assignment that happens to share our teaching materials and platforms.

I worked out that I could only post a comment in the discussion board attached to one of these assignments, so I assumed that was mine - but just to be sure, I thought I'd post a question to check:

Me:
Can I safely assume that, since this is the only assignment I can post a discussion for, that this is the one intended for EDLA504?
Her:
I'm not quite sure what you are asking, Sharon. Each topic has at least one discussion forum where you can post a contribution. Towards the end of the trimester, choose three of your contributions to these forums, and combine them into one short paper of 800 to 1000 words, then submit this paper as Assignment 2.
Me:
It's a simple enough question, Susan, don't let the fact that I mentioned technology confuse you too much:
Is this the correct assignment for EDLA504?
There were, you see, two Assignment 2s and two Assignment 3s, and I just want really CLEAR and OBVIOUS confirmation that the assignment description I am looking at is the correct one for me.
Now that the other assignments have been hidden, the question is moot.  But it would be nice if the assignment decription mentioined the subject by name somewhere.
Her:
Assignment 2, Sharon, is exactly the same for both units so it wouldn't really matter which description you read, you would have the correct one. Your capital letters suggest that my previous answer wasn't satisfactory. I'm not sure what extra information might be useful, but let me know if you need more.
Now, I can see why she might be confused (I really can - there's background stuff that makes my original question more confusing to begin with) but I can't see why she can't just say "Yes, this is the assignment for EDLA504" - or why she seems to think that saying "I don't understand your question, so I'll just tell you what is in the assignment description" is perfectly satisfactory, and I shouldn't have any problems with it.

Yes, I could have been a lot more specific with my opening question - except that I have found the more detail I include, the more likely she is to focus on some random point in the details and not answer my question.

I also can't see why the assignments wouldn't have the name of the subjects written on them somewhere in the first place.

These little details just keep stacking up on each other, so that eventually I feel like I'm drowning under an ocean of minor inconveniences.

And then I get snarky, and write replies that seem unnecessarily rude - and start contributing to the problem.

It's a vicious cycle.

No comments:

Post a Comment