Thursday, October 23, 2014

One club

So, I bought a golf club the other day.

Not the place where you go to play golf, just the thing you use to hit the ball.

And only one.  A 6-iron.

Why would I do such a thing?  Danged if I know.

It was $5 from Cash Converters.  I picked it up and it felt good in my hands.  What more reason do you need to buy a golf club?

This, ladies and gentlemen, is why I suck at de-cluttering:  because I am attracted to clutter like a moth to a flame.

Fortunately I'm getting slightly better at throwing it out later.

Actually, I did kind of have a reason for buying the club.

Some time ago I stumbled across an article about one club golf and I liked the sound of that.

Watching golf is about on par* in the "can this be any more boring?" stakes as test cricket.  Yet, having recently become enamored with other "target ball" sports (like petanque and lawn bowls), I realise I'd probably enjoy it if I played it.

I mean, golf links always look like a pleasant place to spend an afternoon, and I'm okay with a little bit of "hitting things with sticks" as a means to pass the time.

It's just... Man that sport has a lot of crap - and most of it is expensive.  I already have a sport that gives me the opportunity to buy expensive crap and carry it around for no good reason.  I decided ages ago that what I'm looking for in any new activities I take up is "less crap than fencing".

Yes, I do love the crap that comes with fencing.  Swords, masks, sword-proof pants... what's not to love?  But that's enough.

So, the idea of lugging around a bag full of these club things just seems unpleasant.  And, it must be said, the idea of looking meaningfully down a stretch of grass and saying "I wonder if I should use a 4 or 5 iron here?" just seems a bit too... well... "introverted".

Yeah, that sounds like a polite way to put it.  "Introverted".

But a single club?  I can deal with that.  Walking around a nice park with a stick, hitting a ball towards a hole...  It sounds like minigolf, only bigger.

So, when I walked into Cash Converters to kill some time, and noticed they had a bunch of second hand clubs for $5 each, I thought "why not?"

Now all I have to do is find a golf course that doesn't have fees that make my eyes water.


*Bad golf pun not originally intended, but left in once noticed.

No comments:

Post a Comment