Thursday, December 2, 2010

German Grammarpod

I've discovered this resource recently, and it's brilliant:

http://germangrammarpod.blogspot.com/

It's woman called Laura giving shortish (10-25 minute) lessons on German grammar.

In her blurb she mentions that no one seemed willing to talk about German grammar until she got to the university level, and she found that very frustrating - the lack of grammar, that is. Now she works as a translator, and wanted to teach German but gave it up - partly because standard practise is to ignore grammar.

German Grammarpod is her way to get the need to share the grammar of the language out of her system, an I have to say I salute her for it.

I'm a fan of grammar, myself. I honestly believe you can't really know a language without it - I have no idea how people hope to learn a languge (even their own) if they don't know what a verb is, and therefore can't understand that you have to move it to the end of a sentence in this circumstance, or that it always comes directly after the subject in that one...

Someone is bound to take umbrage at this. There are a ridiculous number of people who think grammar is some how elitist, and people don't actually need it, and you should just use a language without trying to analyse it... I don't get that mindset at all. To me, it's like saying you don't need to know how a car works in order to drive it. Well, maybe you can drive around for a while without knowing why turning the steering wheel makes the car go where you point it. Maybe you don't need to know why putting petrol in the car is important, as long as you do it. However, the fact remains that cars don't operate on magic, and knowing how they work and why is not a bad thing. If I know why my tyres need a certain amount of pressure, I'm going to be extra conscientious to make sure they don't get too low.

I like knowing how language works. I think you can use it more effectively when you do. A big part of that is grammar.

So I'm really enjoying these podcasts, obviously. Laura clearly loves knowing the nuts and bolts of German, and she explains it in a way that is easy to absorb. Some times you listen to podcasts and they weren't really written for people who are just listening - like whoever recorded them was more familiar with computers than radio. Laura's episodes have a comfortable, radio-like feel to them and you can happily listen to them in the car.

I recommend it for anyone learning German who wants a nice, clear overview of different grammar points.

2 comments:

  1. sounds interesting, should we (you) add it to Modern Languages libguide (or have you already :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Surely you know I have. I'm having great fun exploring languages through the iPod. Expect to see a) a number of new additions to the Modern Languages LibGuide, and b) a post on using podcasts to explore languages on the Arts and Humanities Blog in the near future.

    ReplyDelete