Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Kveekerid

Ja, ja. Ich wisse. Es ist Deutsche Woche und ich habe dieses Post Titel im Estnisch geschrieben. Whatevs, dude.

I've been reading a bit about Quakers lately, and I have to say the more I learn about Quakers and the more I learn about Estonians, the more I wonder why there isn't a massive Quaker movement in Estonia. There's a mini-Quaker movement, from what I can tell, but measured in handfuls, rather than hundreds. You'd think Quakerism and Estonians would be a good fit.

I mean, this is a religious movement that prides itself on being pragmatic and simple. Quakers hold the principles of truth and conscience as first and foremost, and don't really give a wet slap about anything else. They value plain speaking and plain living, and their worship session consists of not talking to people for stretches of time.

They pooh-pooh fancy pants churches with their symbols and litergies, prefering instead to have a plain room with simple furniture (or even be outside amongst the trees), where they can sit quietly and contemplate deep things. And they don't believe they should say anything unless they have something worthwhile to say - something that would benefit the people hearing them.

Pragmatic, taciturn, to the point and with an instictive mistrust for paraphernalia. If this doesn't sound like a stereotypical Estonian, I don't know what does. Plus, I can see how a people who still prefer wood-fired heating (because you can't trust electricity) and mowing grass by hand could get on board with the simplicity thing.

So why isnt' there a big Quaker movement in Estonia? Kus on kveekerid?

No comments:

Post a Comment