Sunday, December 12, 2010

What's in a name

Had an interesting discussion with the head of the languages discipline at a party the other night.

I mentioned that I had enrolled in the German programme at UNE for next year, and he wanted to know why. After all, the laguage programme taught at JCU was identical to the one taught at UNE, so why didn't I show some institutional solidarity and enrol through JCU? Well, he didn't actually use the words "institutional solidarity" but it was rather clearly implied in the pained and slightly exasperated expression on his face when he said "why don't you go through JCU?"

I can see his point. I mean, the JCU course isn't just identical to the one taught at UNE, it is the one taught at UNE. JCU outsources it's course content from UNE, so anyone studying languages through JCU is actually doing the UNE course with local tutors. If I had enrolled through JCU I'd be doing the exact same course, only JCU would get the funding and numbers for it. Given that it's a regional university and the Language programme is somewhat endagered, every single enrolment counts.

I tried to explain that the problem is one of nomenclature. Going through UNE, I can do a Diploma of Languages, while doing the exact same subjects through JCU would only get me a Diploma of Arts. I already have a Bachelor of Arts through JCU - I don't need a Diploma of Arts on top of that. Besides, the word "Arts" is largely meaningless. The fact that I majored in English literature is not inherently evident in the name. I could have majored in architecture or politics for all anyone knows (or cares). I'm at a point where I want the name of my degree to mean something. A Diploma of Languages means something. A Diploma of Arts doesn't.

I didn't try to explain to him that I'm also put off by the whole outsourced content thing. Modern Languages clearly isn't one of JCU's core concerns. On the other hand, UNE has a reasonably good reputation for languages - especially via distance education. Even if it is the same course content, I feel happier about going through UNE.

Once upon a time, JCU actually had a proper language department which actually had it's own curriculum, language lab and resource centre. Heck, they even dedicated an entire building to English and Modern Languages. That was almost fifteen years ago, when I was sorely tempted to put a Bachelor of Languages through JCU down as my first choice on my QUTAC form. Amazing how much things can change in a decade.

No comments:

Post a Comment