Monday, November 10, 2008

Don't tell me I did a good job

I delivered a presentation today.

It was about Second Life. Last week, I knew next to nothing about Second Life. Three days ago I new a little bit more, but still not very much.

Today, I delivered a presentation with no notes, no real experience and next to no preparation (the only time I had to prepare was spent madly trying to figure out how to walk in a straight line in SL and read up on what other people new).

I couldn't have been more inept if I tried. In fact, I kind of did try to be inept. I made a point of joking about how bad and unsuitable I was for such a presentation (someone else was supposed to do it but they couldn't make it).

And yet, during lunch, everyone kept telling me I did a great job. I didn't. I know I didn't and they should know I didn't. It annoys me that they seemed to genuinely appreciate the incompetent effort I made. I know I could have done a lot better. Even in the time I was given, I could have put more thought into it - I could have had a slide show, for example, instead of a handful of links to sites that didn't even work. I could have at least thought about a beginning, middle and end for what I was going to say.

Instead, I made them laugh. Years of working in front of crowds and talking to groups have taught me that the best way to get an audience on side is to make them laugh. Crack a few jokes, make a few sarcastic comments and they'll happily let you stand in front of them regardless of what you're talking about (I once did an impromptu speech on cacti for a performance).

But, the thing was, I wasn't there to entertain them. I was there to present information, and I did a very poor job of that. In fact, it was one of the worst "public appearances" I've ever made. I'm annoyed with myself for doing such a lousy job when I know I could have and should have done better. I'm annoyed with everyone else who told me it was good when really it was just amusing.

Getting away with doing a bad job just encourages me to think I can get away with it again next time. Not good.

1 comment:

  1. OK you didn't do a good job that is true and you were entertaining even if that wasn't the point. Actually I know you can do much better but really we talked you into it and full points to agreeing to doing something no one else was prepared to do and you did show that it isn't all that easy to use second life for the uninitiated. So even though this is 7 months later thanks for doing it in the first place and just think how much better you will be next time :)

    ReplyDelete