Monday, November 17, 2008

Jamie Gillis, Lois Lane and Superman

I hate it when this happens:

I was trying to find information on Jamie Gillis, a short lived character from the Superman Family comics in the early 1980s, and most of the hits I could find by putting the character's name into a search engine came back with an actor in the... Well, it's a certain film industry I don't care to name because I want this post to come up in any search that has the most obvious terms for that industry NOT-ed out.

Not helpful for augmenting information.

Anyway, in the spirit of sharing useful information about the subject in which I was interested, here is what I know about Jamie Gillis, the Superman character:

Jamie Gillis was a photographer working in the Daily Planet. Primarily, she was a kind of female Jimmy Olsen - going with Lois Lane to cover stories. She pretty much only appeared in stories where Lois was the main character, although she also appeared in some Supergirl comics as well. She had a sort of "will-they-won't-they" relationship with Mark Spencer, who also worked at the Planet.

She made her first appearance at the beginning of 1980, and she was very much a late '70s/early '80s character. She tended to wear jeans and a button-up blouse but with a photgrapher's vest. You'd usually see her perched on the edge of someone's desk while talking to them.

She reminded me a bit of Trixie Beldon - especially the book-covers from the late '70s. Her hair was short and curly/wavy, and she had freckles in some stories. She also had a tendency to react first and think later. You might say she was a bit flaky.

The way she 'moved' was also kind of '70s/'80s, although it's hard to explain why - kind of like she was always on the verge of skipping or dancing, but in an innocent, barn-dance kind of way. A lot of the female characters from the last ten years or so also look like they're about to start dancing, but with more of a pole dance than a barn-dance.

I've read at least three stories featuring her, and she stuck out for me (possibly because of the Trixie Beldon similarities, possibly because she looked like she was about to start skipping at any point - or possibly because she struck me as the character I could play in the movie, if I lost a bit of weight).

She never made it past the early '80s. Heck, she was out of the picture before Crisis, and she didn't survive into the new continuity. No one seems to have missed her, but I think she'd have a lot of potential if she was brought back.

How's this for a new game:

Superman characters from before Crisis who could be brought back into the current continuity?

Jamie Gillis and Mark Spencer are my nominations, what are yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment