Thursday, November 13, 2008

Well there you go - I'm an idiot


Have you ever taken years to work out something that was blindingly obvious?

I finally "got" the logo for the Strand today. For years, I thought it was one of the stupidest design I've ever seen because the sqiggly things looked like they should be a "t" and an "s" (for "The Strand"), but they were all wrong.

Then today, I finally realised I should have been looking at the white space all along. The logo is an "s" (for "Strand") running between the blue of the sea and the yellow of the beach.

Now that I've "seen" it, it seems so obvious. Not that great, but obvious. Ah, negative spaces. They can be flummoxing at times, can they not?

Of course, part of the really embarrassing side of this all is the fact that I've designed a few logos myself over the years, and I used to work for a sign-writer on and off during the "Wilderness Year", so I should be used to noticing white space and it's effect on the over-all image.

Ah, well. I guess I'm just not that bright.

No comments:

Post a Comment