Sunday, April 4, 2010

Dialogue

I have come to the conclusion that the people who write dialogue for language textbooks are either drunk or suffering from some sort of acquired brain injury.

Okay, so repetition is meant to help solidify concepts and give you a better chance of remembering the vocabulary. I accept that, and I can understand why "practice dialogue" would use the same words a couple of times. But, honestly, this sort of exchange is just ridiculous:

"I live in the country. My family also lives in the country. My mother and father live in the country, and my sister and brother live in the country."
"I also live in the country. I was born in the country. My family also lives in the country. My mother lives in the country, and my father also lives in the country."

This in an actual example of a conversation in a language book I've been working through lately, only translated into English and with a few lines removed. Believe it or not, the conversation went on to further explain how the participants' families did, indeed, live in the country.

The first couple of sentences may have been an interesting challenge, the rest is a) a waste of words, and b) practically screaming: "look at me! I'm pedagogical dialogue that will never be encountered in real life!"

Under what circumstances would two people actually engage in such a conversation? Where would you find two people who are so uncertain about whether their conversation partner understands what is meant by "my family lives in the country" that they would go to great lengths to explain how each individual member of their families lives in the country?

At which point does someone turn around and shout: "I don't care! Go away!"

Or, to enter into the spirit of things:

"I don't care. My family doesn't care. My father doesn't care and my mother also doesn't care. My sister and my brother do not care. I'm reasonably certain my cat and dog do not care, either. Now please go away."

Something vaguely resembling a realistic conversation. That's all I'm asking for, people.

1 comment:

  1. I know. You can find some very strange and stilted conversations in language textbooks. That's why I love books that have examples of real-life conversations.

    ReplyDelete