Monday, September 12, 2011

Pavlova is "Bar"

I just want to clarify something I said to people earlier today, and make my meaning absolutely clear:

Pavlova is "bar" (not "bark", "bar").

By that I mean that it's always "safe" no matter what crazy diet game you might be playing at the moment.

Sure, it's a large chunk of sugar suspended in eggwhite, covered with cream - which, ordinarily, wouldn't sound like something dieters should be eating, but it also has fruit on the top of it, so it's kind of good for you, and...

...And some things just need to be "bar". Some things need to be above the cut-and-thrust of the game, where you can just relax and not care about whether or not you are in danger of anything (except, maybe, a diabetic coma, but that's beside the point).

Pavlova is one of the finest desserts on the face of the earth, and it should be "bar".

Not neenish tarts, though. That's more of a once-in-a-year-when-you-want-to-play-with-death kind of thing.

I had a really good neenish tart from Jacob's Bakery in Brendale when I went to Brisbane last month. It was really quite excellent, but I think I might wait another six months or so before attempting anything like that again.

There's something about neenish tarts - they manage to be really good and yet thoroughly disgusting at the same time. Hmm, actually, now I want a neenish tart...

Anyway, I just wanted to say that pavlova is always safe - not because it actually is safe, but just because there are some things that should be "safe" by agreement, and I believe pavlova is one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment