Friday, September 30, 2011

The Saga Continues

This is a summary of how my attempts to buy a bicycle have gone so far:

Late June

Me: I want to buy a bike I can travel with. I've been trying to make up my mind between the Brompton and the Bike Friday. Could I come to your shop to try them both?

Them: Of course. We'll have one of each for you.

Me: Please keep in mind that I will be flying into town specifically to see your bike shop and these two bikes.

Them: We understand, that's not a problem. We should even have a Brompton that specifically matches what you want in stock.

Me: (Later) Remember, I'm flying into town later this week to look at the bikes.

Them: (Nothing).

I pay over $200 in travel fees and take up two days of my annual leave to see bikes. I make luggage allowances to return with a bicycle. It is currently August.

Me: I'm here to look at the bikes.

Them: We have a Brompton, but not the exact model you wanted.

Me: What about the Bike Friday?

Them: Not a model worth comparing with a Brompton.

Me: I flew in specifically to look at them both!

Them: Well, you know, they've just been flying out the door.

The Brompton was the one I was most interested in anyway, and having seen enough to know that I like it and I want one, I decide to just go ahead and buy it.

Me: That Brompton you said would be in by now, is it far away?

Them: No, it should be here in two weeks at the most.

Me: Can I put a firm order in for it so that I get it when it comes?

Them: Of course! We'll take all of your details and when the bike is in we'll get in contact so we can organise to have it sent to you (they happily take my money).

Almost four weeks pass and I don't hear a word from them

Me: What's the status of my bicycle?

Them: We don't really know. We'll get back to you.

Me: (One Week Later) What's the status of my bicycle? And could you start telling me things? I'm starting to get annoyed by the fact that you never honestly tell me what I can expect from you. After the Bike Friday stuff, I'm feeling less than thrilled with your communication techniques.

Them: Oh, yeah. It's in the country and in customs. We should have it soon. Sorry about the Bike Friday thing, it just slipped through the cracks. We're sure it will never happen again.

Me: Okay, well I'm going on holidays in October and wanted to take the bike with me. Is this going to be possible?

Them: Oh, for sure. Go ahead and make plans and book things, you should definitely have the bike before October.

One week later I'm about to email them again when:

Them: Good news! Your bike is in the shop. You can pick it up whenever you like.

Me: That is good news, but I don't live in town. You said you would get in contact with me to organise a way to send it to me by freight, remember?

Them: (Nothing).

Me: (Two days later) So, I'm kind of expecting to take the bike with me when I leave *really* soon...

Them: Good news! You should have the bike by Tuesday.

October starts tomorrow...


My main beef is that I can't shake the feeling they are telling me what they think I want to hear, when what I want to hear is a true, honest and reliable indication of what I can expect.

I'm less concerned about it taking six weeks to get a bike than I am by being told it will take two, when realistically it might take six. I want to be able to make plans - I need to know, honestly, what I can expect.

They say "Tuesday", and I hope they are right, but why tell me I would definitely have the bike by October if there was a chance I wouldn't? Why not just say "we hope to have it before October, but it might not get there until the first week or so." Would that kill them?

1 comment:

  1. Actually, my biggest beef was the comment "well, you know, they've just been flying out the door." I would have preferred something along the lines of "sorry".

    ReplyDelete