Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Fancy Sausage Jellyfish?

So, I was having had a deep and meaningful conversation with my peers on the sausage jellyfish front and we've decided it could totally be jazzed up a bit.

So here we go:

Fancy-pants Sausage Jellyfish

Ingredients:
  • Chorizo sausages, sliced into 1.5 - 2cm long pieces
  • Quick-cook Spaghetti
  • Four very ripe tomatoes
  • Two tablespoons olive oil
  • One small-to-medium onion
  • 2 Cloves garlic
  • One tub of tomato puree
  • Half-cup of red wine
  • Water
  • Salt, Pepper and Soy Sauce (optional), to taste.
  • Two large handfuls of spinach

Method:

Break strands of spaghetti in half and insert approximately 8 half-strands into one side of the chorizo pieces, as legs for the jellyfish. Bring a pot of water to boil while cooking the sauce.

Dice onion and crush garlic, then saute in olive oil until tender. Add tomato puree and wine, then enough water to turn into a thin sauce. Roughly chop tomatoes and add to sauce. Add salt, pepper and soy sauce to taste.

Meanwhile, add chorizo and spaghetti to the boiling water and cook according to the directions on the spaghetti package. Leave in the water until ready to serve.

When the "jellyfish" are cooked, take sauce off heat and quickly toss through the washed spinach leaves. Quickly drain the jelly-fish and divide between plates, pour the source over the "fish" and serve immediately.


Now to answer a few questions:
  • No, I haven't tried this myself. Well, I have, but I haven't. I've used the chorizo in the sauce, which I have used with actual spaghetti. So I have eaten all of these ingredients together in the same meal, and found them to be tasty and not horrible. I haven't done the thing with the jelly-fish, and I've never tried quick-cook spaghetti.
  • I will grant that soy sauce isn't a "typical" ingredient in tomato-based spaghetti sauces, but it's quite nice. Trust me. In my family we never make bolognese without it. This is partly because my grandmother used to add soy sauce, tomato sauce and Worcestershire sauce to everything - which is either incredibly odd or very cosmopolitan, depending on how you look at things.

No comments:

Post a Comment