Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Strange things (Google)

I noticed the picture I was using as my backdrop on this blog fell off a few days ago, so I replaced it with a new image (trees, sunsets, calming afternoony type things), but now I've noticed that picture keeps dropping off as well.

I'm going to leave it alone for a little bit to see if it's a glitch Google fixes, but then I may have to go to a more boring template so I can get a better background.

Maybe I'll put one of my own photos back there...

Something else I noticed today (don't know how long it has been happening): My blogspot address has decided to change itself to a .au

Take a look - it doesn't matter if you take out the country code to go back to the domain name I picked in the system, it keeps changing to self to blogspot.com.au

I didn't chose this - I don't have the option to change it either. Wonder what Google's playing at?

What process did they use to decide I should be a .au? Yes, I do live in Australia at the moment, but what if I move to Europe? Once I settle into my new job in Switzerland, is my address suddenly going to change to .ch? (I don't actually have a new job in the Confoederatio Helvetica at present, I'm just using it as an example).

My language settings for other things attached to this Google ID swing between German and Estonian, and the majority of hits to this blog come from Estonia, so why didn't they consider that I might have wanted a European country code - or no code at all?

Value judgements are being made - and without consultation. Never a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment