Monday, January 2, 2012

In Green...

My membership pack for Canberra United finally arrived (only six months after I sent in my membership form).

I'm ridiculously excited, and currently wearing the scarf. It's a bit of a dorky scarf, being made of a material that would be a) not warm in colder climates and b) not cool enough to get away with wearing in warmer climates without getting it all sweaty. Plus, it has "member 2011-2012" written on it, which is a touch annoying. I don't like things that are self-dating. Oh, and it's a scarf for a football team, so wearing it at work is also a bit dorky, I suppose. Must remember to take it off before leaving my cave... er, office.

But still, you know, I just got it, and I was beginning to think I never would, so I'm wearing it, darn it.

I actually joined the club to get a hat. I read somewhere that members got a hat. Instead I got a scarf and a flag and tickets to every game.

Sadly, there are only two games left, and I'm not likely to be "in town" for either of them. Such is life, when you follow a league that is based entirely in the bottom half of the continent and you life in the top half.

Oh, and I also got a ridiculous number of bumper stickers, which are also self-dating. Now I can tell the world that I was a member of Canberra United during the 2011/2012 season by applying these stickers to an entire fleet of vehicles.

At least the flag doesn't have a date-range applied to it.

The other reason I applied to be a member was the promise of regular updates. Surprisingly, it's actually getting harder and harder to find out what is happening in the national women's football league. The ABC, which is my hero because it screens one of the games every week, used to have a fairly easy access to stats and things. Now, not so much. The W-League website (which is based on the same useless structure as the A-League website) has never been the most easily navigable source of information.

It still bothers me greatly that our major newspapers don't even give the barest amount of information about the women's league. Women's basketball has a slightly better run of it, but it still gets short shrift in the grand scheme of things. As I may have mentioned before, it's the 21st Century. Surely we can give some attention to women's sport? Especially football, which is such a global thing...

Anyway, it's nice to support a team that's actually winning (we may take the premiership this year). Makes a pleasant change from the Fury.

No comments:

Post a Comment