Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Fennecs and Pikas Alive Alive-O

I want one of these:



Anyone know where I can get a fennec?

Fennecs, by the way, start with the letter "f", not the letter "p". I mention this, because I was once involved in a ridiculously drawn out game of categories when someone said we had to come up with every animal we could think of starting with the letter "p".

There are a lot of them, and at one point the word "pika" came into my mind. Someone tried to challenge me on it, but I stuck to my guns. Sadly, I described it as a type of fox with really big ears. This not only sounded like something completely made up, but it was also quite incorrect.

A pika looks like this:



It is, as you can see, a type of lagomorph with relatively small ears, given the ear size of other lagomorphs like rabbits and hares.

"What in the Zharkian Empire is a lagomorph?" I hear you cry. "If it's some kind of rodent, why don't you just say so?"

Well, gentle readers, it turns out that rabbits, hares and pikas are not rodents at all. They belong to a completely different order of animal - lagomorpha. They bear but a superficial resemblance to members of the rodentia order. And yet, despite this, members of both orders are equally likely to pee in your hand. You get that.

So, while a pika may superficially resemble a degu:



Or, perhaps a chinchilla:



It is, in fact, nothing at all like a small fox with large ears. That would be a fennec:



That's "fennec" with an "f".

2 comments:

  1. That's nothing, my good man. You should follow the fennec at the top home to http://www.zooborns.com. So much cuteness abounds. Not to mention more interesting animals than you can poke a stick at...

    ReplyDelete