Thursday, November 26, 2009

New Bike!

New bike, new bike, new biiiiiiiiiike!



I was going to wait until my birthday to assemble it, but I couldn't help myself. I just love assembling stuff. I have been known to buy furniture just so I could assemble it later. I find the occasional jigsaw puzzle can quell this need, as can the fact that I live with my mother and she won't let me bring any more furniture into the house (yet another reason to move out in ten years, after I've finally saved up enough of a deposit to buy my own place)... but a penny-farthing to assemble was just too tempting to pass up.

I had to pull all of the pieces out of the box anyway, you see, because I needed to check they were all there (actually, the guy said he'd throw in some spare spokes, and they weren't in the box, so I guess they weren't all there). Once I had those pieces laid out, and the assembly instruction in my hands... Well, what's a girl to do?







In case anyone was interested, my "workshop" consisted of leaning the thing against a disused dog kennel and holding it in place with a bucket of dirt. The bucket of dirt once had a purpose, now it seems to be taking up space for no good reason. Ah, well, at least I got some use out of it.

I had a sad and unfortunate thought half-way through today, though. In Queensland, it's illegal to ride a bicycle on the road without at least one working break. I think that means I might have to get a break installed somehow in order to ride it anywhere other than a path...

2 comments:

  1. Your bike looks awesome! It's nothing if not eye catching. However, I think that I would be too wuss to ride it! Does balance work different than on a normal bike?

    ReplyDelete
  2. A little bit harder than a "safety bicycle", but a lot easier than a unicycle.

    It took me weeks to propel a unicycle without holding onto something, and I still have great difficulty freemounting, but I was mucking about in the backyard on the Penny-farthing after about 20 minutes worth of using a railing to practice getting on and off.

    As a bonus, I've discovered I can easily "fall" sideways and put a foot down without the risk of any serious damage to anything, or just slide straight off the back and land on both feet if I'm in a hurry to stop.

    Haven't tried it on a street yet, but I can feel it coming.

    ReplyDelete