Wednesday, November 11, 2009

What I learnt today: Puggles

I love it when new words are incredibly fabulous:

"Puggle"

It's what you call a baby echidna. According to the Macquarie English Dictionary, the name actually came from a line of toys. People thought the little naked echidna babies looked like the toys, so they started calling them puggles, and the name just stuck. The dictionary implied this is a word applied to all monotreme pouchlings, so I guess a baby platypus is also a puggle.

They didn't include a date chart, so I have no idea when this all happened, but I think it's kind of cool that the "real world" is starting to be named after toys.

Plus, the word "puggle" is just brilliant. Plus, echidna puggles look fabulously funky:



You can kind of tell they aren't really meant to be out of the pouch, yet. I tell you what: zoo personnel have the best jobs. Well, next to being a librarian, that is.

I want to find a picture of a platypus puggle, now. Well, actually I just want to find an excuse to use the words "platypus puggles" in a sentence. I think I've managed that for today.

2 comments:

  1. there is another kinda puggle too! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yes. It's also a popular cross-breed dog. Well, "popular" in a niche market. A cross between a pug and a beagle, I believe.

    Kind of like a labradoodle, in which a vaguely annoying dog is crossed with a much less annoying dog in order to produce something... well I never did understand that, actually.

    All I know is that the people who own labradoodles and puggles seem to be the same people who own poodles and pugs, only a little more intense.

    I wonder what would happen if anyone crossed a poodle with a pug?

    ReplyDelete