Saturday, October 23, 2010

Crazy Tom's pizza recipe

A couple of years ago I spent the weekend with a group of people crazy enough to travel to Julia Creek for a triathlon. One of them was an English guy by the name of "Tom". At least, I think his name was Tom. I can't really remember these sorts of details (heck, I can barely remember my own name sometimes).

Anyway, Tom had spent some time in South Africa, where they apparently put banana on pizza. He was lamenting about the fact that he can't convince any pizza shops in Australia to use banana as an ingredient.

I told him the entire concept of banana on a pizza was ridiculous. He said people who put beetroot on hamburgers can't throw stones, which I figured was a fair cop.

Ever since then, I've been wondering exactly what pizza would taste like with banana. Last night I was making pizza for dinner, and I finally decided I may as well give it a try.

It's different - takes a moment to get used to - but it is not unpleasant. Slightly sweet, like pineapple, but with a weird undertone that takes you by surprise when you aren't expecting it. I'd possibly do it again.

It put me in mind of the fancy-pants pizza shop on Ross River Rd which puts beetroot on one of it's gourmet pizzas. And it made me wonder - why are vegetarian pizzas in most take-away pizza joints so darn boring?

If you're a vegetarian, you really only get two options: you can have the exact same ingredients that you would get on a super supreme minus the meat, or you can have cheese and tomato. Why don't they bring in some crazy options that people who eat peperoni pizzas would never consider? Why not have a "fruit salad" pizza with pineapple, banana and cucumber (what? It's a fruit).

It's not so difficult and out-there that a regular pizza shop couldn't do it. You don't have to be "gourmet" to be "not entirely boring".

No comments:

Post a Comment