Thursday, October 28, 2010

I come from a tree

This is something that has been puzzling me for some time:

Tere hommikust!
Tulen tammikust!
Toon teile sooja sepikut


It's in a book I have at home. A class says it in unison with a clap as a way to begin the school day, as they are about to take a bus to Tallinn for a school excursion.

Now, to the best of my ability, this translates as:

Good Morning!
I come from an oak tree (or, maybe, a dam)!
I bring you warm wheat bread.


Which could possibly be accused of "not making any sense". Is it normal to declare you come from a tree/dam and offer warm bread to your teacher in the morning in some parts of the world?

4 comments:

  1. tammik - oak grove/forest

    Also:
    lepik;
    kaasik;
    kuusik;
    männik;
    etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tammik is actually a forest of oak trees, just like kaasik is a forest of birch trees. :) Those sentences are just for the zing of poetry..

    Sepik is graham bread.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's just for the rhyme. It's common in all languages. If you speak French you can take the songs of Camille for example. The song 'Vous' for example is mostly nonsense.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, nothing to do with forest faries who bring you strange, yet useful gifts?

    ReplyDelete