Monday, October 11, 2010

It's spreading

Hmmm.

At first it was rather amusing, now I'm starting to get nervous.

Remember how my Google Chrome browser suddenly decided to switch my entire language environment to German? Remember how I said I was going to leave it like that and see if it switched itself back?

Not only has it not switched itself back, but the German is spreading.

I just noticed a couple of options in a drop-down menu on IE were offered in German (although the rest of them were in English, so that was odd) and another programme I use, Spark, had also switched it's language settings to German without instruction.

Not only that, but one of the programmes at the reference desk had also switched to German without being prompted.

Now, I'm willing to swear an affadavit that the only language settings I have changed on either computer in the last few months has been to add the German and Estonian character sets as keyboard options.

As far as I know, this is a normal function of computers and should not be encouraging the electronic world around me to spontaneously alter my language environments.

So what's with all the German?

Have I suddenly caught some sort of computer zoonosis that is causing me to spread German wherever I go?

1 comment: