Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Bursting Into Song

I always wanted to get a T-Shirt made which said:

"Life is a musical. Please excuse me while I burst into song." *

I'm mildly convinced I must have suffered some sort of acquired brain injury at some point, as it's the most obvious reason for the funny accent, my difficulty with recognising faces, the problem I have with linear time and the fact that I often don't notice I'm singing.

People seem to think the constant whistling, humming, tapping and singing is something I do on purpose because I'm annoying (which is partially true - I am actually quite annoying), but the fact of the matter is it just happens. One minute the tune is safely locked in my head, the next thing I know it's spilling out of my mouth. Usually it takes me a moment or so to realise it's now on the outside of my brain.

Often it's a word association thing, as well. Someone will say something, which will lead to me thinking about something else, which will lead to a song...

My cell mate recently made the observation that I'll have to stop singing so much when we move to the new office and share space with the 'downstairs people'. The 'downstairs people' are a notoriously dour lot who seem to enjoy working in a quiet environment.

Sadly, the terms "quiet environment" and "Sharon works here" are mutually exclusive. Even if I'm not singing, I'm probably talking. I talk to myself when there's no one around. When people are around, I'll talk to them (whether they like it or not).

I've worked out over the years that the only way I can shut myself up is to listen to music. I still sing along (even when I don't speak the language or there are no words), but I do it at a reduced volume - and sometimes I even managed to get through entire songs without joining in. It depends on the music and my mood.

I have a feeling I may be working my way through the entire library CD collection when we move downstairs...



*Other things I'd like to put on T-Shirts: "Kas keegi siin raagib inglise keelt?" and "peut contenir des traces de noix"

No comments:

Post a Comment